K’oni Friendship Project
The K’oni Friendship project was designed to allow youth in the Big Brothers Big Sisters Program, Youth on the BB/BS waiting list, and their mentors a chance to enjoy free training. Uniforms have been generously provided by Bostater Realty and all training programs are free including:
- Takenoko (under 8 class)
- Chukyusha (6-9) Intermediates
- Kenji (6-12 class)
- Juudai (teen Class),
- Adult Aikijujutsu/Jujutsu classes (ages 13 and up)
- The Honors Program
- The Leadership program
- Competition Judo classes for adults and kids.
Who Can Join?
So who can join these classes? Bigs, Littles and wait-listed youth are all eligible.
- All students on the waiting list.
- All Littles may join youth free.
- All Bigs may join adult classes free.
- Parents may join adult classes free of charge.
What’s the Catch?
No Catch. We saw a need and decided to try and fill it. If there is a catch, it is that we are offering it for free. That means a lot of parents, Bigs, and Littles will see the classes as having no value and not commit to attending regularly.
There are some limitations.
While I would love to serve everyone without limits, my time and dojo space is limited.
- Students have to get to the dojo on their own via parents, Bigs, carpools, or other means.
- Youth have no testing fees but colored youth belts are not included -yet. (We are working on getting a sponsor for belts.) Parents will have to purchase belts at $5-10 depending on the current cost.
- Adult testing fees are not included, but some scholarships are available.
- Wait listed students may participate as long as they are on the list.
- Littles may participate for free as long as there is available space. If space is limited,
- Littles new to training (less than two sessions) have first priority.
- Littles training along with their Bigs are next in priority.
- Those Littles who have been training for three or more sessions may train as space is available after paying students.
- Bigs may attend 3 months of adult class free.
- They may continue attending free as long as space is available and/or their Little attends.
- Discounted & scholarship classes are available for mentors beyond who are not covered above.
- Due to time and space constraints, we are limited to twenty training pairs of Bigs and Littles at any one time. They will be served on a first-come, first-served basis.
- No student is ever turned away due to inability to pay – EVER. Talk to us and we will work something out.